🧔 20 years of connecting classic car enthusiasts worldwide!
Classic Lorraine Dietrich for sale - Lorraine Dietrich cars for sale
FR, 1905 - 1934
Sociéte Lorraine des Anciens Etablissments de Dietrich et Cie, Lunéville, Lorraine, Argenteuil, Seine-et-OiseTowards the end of 1905 cars of the De Dietrich et Cie company had been renamed Lorraine Dietrich cars, the Cross of Lorraine on their raidators emphasizing their French origins. From 1928 the Lorraine Dietrich cars were known simply as Lorraines. A distinguished racing career (3rd in the 1903 Paris-Madrid, 2nd, 5th and 10th in the 1905 Coppa Florio, and 3rd in the 1906 Vanderbilt Cup and the Circuit des Ardennes) led to a boom in sales which rose from 253 in 1902 to 650 in 1906. Lorraine Dietrich cars went ‘empire building’ in 1907, acquiring Isotta Fraschini of Italy and Ariel of England. Neither venture prospered: the Milanese firm soon regained its independence, and it is unlikely that more than one’British’ Lorraine Dietrich car was ever produced. In 1907 there were also a few 6-wheelers Lorraine Dietrich cars based on the 1905 Turcat-Méry, and at the top of the range was an enormous 12.4-litre Lorraine Dietrich 60. Shaft drive made its appearance on the smaller Lorraine Dietrich cars (which included a 3.6-litre six) in 1908; there was a small twin in the 1909 Lorraine Dietrich car catalogue; and 1910 brought a modern sv monobloc four, the 2121cc 12/15hp. Under the influence of a new designer, de Groullard (also responsible for the last Lorraine Dietrich racer, the 15.095cc chain-driven 1912 GP Lorraine Dietrich car), these features spread up the range, with a parallel 16CV Lorraine Dietrich car in 1911 and an 8.3-litre Lorraine Dietrich 40 with pair-cast cylinders in 1913. During World War 1, Marius Barbarou joined the Lorraine Dietrich car company to help with their aero-engine programme, and though a long-stroke 6.1-litre sv six was introduced in 1919, along with a companion V12 that never saw production, the staple Lorraine Dietrich car of the 1920s was the 15CV, a 3.4-litre pushrod six on American lines with coil ignition, 3-speed unit gearbox and central change. A flexible machine that achieved 60mph on 40bhp, the Lorraine Dietrich car evolved into an excellent sports car that won the 1925 and 1926 Le Mans 24-Hour Races. Four forward speeds were available on Lorraine Dietrich cars from 1924, when front-wheel brakes were standardized, and in 1927 the valve gear was enclosed and 12-volt electrics made their appearance. Between 1923 and 1929 the Lorraine Dietrich car company also marketed a companion 12CV four. The Lorraine Dietrich 15 was made until 1932, in which year the last of the Lorraines was introduced. This was a 4.1-litre 20CV with 7-bearing crankshaft and a radiator of Hispano-Suiza type; this Lorraine Dietrich car was too heavy and expensive to sell well, and Lorraine’s increasing involvement with aero-engines led them to close down their automobile department in 1934, though subsequently Tatra cross-country 6-wheeler were made under licence at Argenteuil.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at